Re: [OM] F280 ModPhoto

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 ModPhoto
From: "Tom Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:56:21 -0400
On Wednesday, April 24, 2002 at 11:37, ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] F280 ModPhoto" saying:

> I hope you mean to say "fast films * OR * lenses", because you don't
> necessarily need both to get the most out of the F280.

Well, the faster the aperture or film, preferably both, the dimmer
the light you can use it in, since the shutter speed has to be
shorter than 1/60. The range is independent of either - it just
depends on the level of ambient light.

In full sunlight with any film you have to be within a metre for
"balanced" lighting, 2m for 1:8 fill. Good for macro, intimate
portraits and small wildlife.

> The OM-4Ti and F280 flash in Super FP mode really does only shine in certain
> situations, nothing more is claimed by Olympus. By that i mean its really
> best used for daylight portraits, macro subjects, or perhaps, to freeze
> action. That's it, period. It's not a T45. The flash's features are best in
> 'close-in' situations. To say it has a short range is missing the point. When
> using the flash outdoors, what are you in effect, doing? You're competing
> with sunlight! Any argument that the F280 is an underpowered, undesirable
> unit is trying to find a shortfall in an area where the flash was never
> designed to excel. Some here are trying to compare sports cars and SUVs. (Not
> you, Tom).
> END OF MINI-RANT...
>
> George S.

Well, I'd like an extra 2 or 3 stops of FP light to broaden the
range. Would be nice to have auto ratio fill.
But not with OM any more :-(

Tom

> Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>

> As you can see, the F280 is useful only with fast films and lenses in
> indoor or very close up situations.

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714