[OM] more on multi-spot

Subject: [OM] more on multi-spot
From: "Andy Gilbert" <gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:18:20 +0100
**Original Message**
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:58:05 -0400
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [OM] more on multi-spot

On Tuesday, April 23, 2002 at 7:51, Joel Wilcox <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] more on multi-spot" saying:
> For me spot metering is terrific to the extent that one spot of middle
> value can be found.  To the degree that it is unclear whether that spot
may
> be a middle value, multiple spots often help clarify.

For slides that is a good strategy, or measure hilites or shadows & use the
appropriate button. Or make readings with all 3 techniques, and choose the
exposure that captures what you want.

But for negatives, you can meter the extremes and average between them.
Most scenes will work well this way.

Tom

> I find multi-spot useful when you have time to really think about the shot
you are taking, e.g landscapes, and you're using slide film. IMHO print film
rarely needs this degree of accuracy, just  basic common sense.  It is easy
to go over the top & miss the best shot, even on a landscape ;)  Using too
many multi spot readings (e.g 8) is generally the same as using the standard
centre weighted readout, but with more button presses ;)  You don't need too
much complication, or if you do perhaps a wunderbick is the way to go.  That
said I think experimenting with a OM3 or 4 can teach you an awful lot about
exposure.  I sometimes do this to remind me of the basics, when to over or
under expose, what sort of surfaces to spot meter on, etc. It's instructive
to meter by different methods & note the different readings, if any.  All of
which should keep you on the ball and able to get the exposure right for
that perfect shot :-)

Andy Gilbert
Exeter
Devon