Re: [OM] Portraits for comment

Subject: Re: [OM] Portraits for comment
From: "Mickey Trageser" <vze3m2s8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:27:05 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "dreammoose" <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> I don't do portrait work, so this is just what an amateur notices. These
> are pretty good shots. I've seen worse commercial results.

We may not all be pros, but we are thinking and aspiring amatuers. Some pros
don't put that much thought into it (those on this list excluded, of
course!), they just follow the script. I appreciate the critique.

> The backgrounds for Leroy and Linda are too black so Linda's hair
> disappears into the background, but you seem to have fixed it with the
> next three, although it still seem a little dark to me.

Yes, the rendition of these jpgs isn't very good. Each of these actually
have the same exposure with the same level of grey in the background, and
level of detail in the shirts. I found it difficult to get them all the same
when scaled and compressed. I've updated the files to bring up the
brightness, but they still don't all match as the originals do.

> Seems like there is not quite enough light on the right (stage left). It
> works ok for the shape of Paul's face, angle of his head, depth of
> eyesockets, etc. But it creates or accentuates dark circles under
> Lynne's eyes and the mark on her cheek and buries the outside of
> Monica'a left eye in shadow. There are also shadows on 3 of the left
> foreheads. I guess I would try to adjust the balance between main and
> fill (if I've got the terminology right) to make the fill a little
> stronger and move it up a bit. I think the nose shadows, etc. would
> still provide 3-D modeling if they were a little softer. It might also
> help to ask people like Monica, who have hair that will shadow the left
> side of their face to look more straight on at the camera?

I used a single light, so the 'fill' is from a reflecting card. I think when
brighter overall, the balance is better. Good catch on the hair. I also
think Monica's posture could have been improved.

> Thanks for the question. I now see things that might help me if I ever
> try portraiture that I wouldn't have noticed without your request. It
> seems a portrait photographer has to see 2 different images, a person in
> front of them, and a complex 3-D shape and all the interplay of light on
> it. "Would you raise your chin a little and look at my ear instead of my
> shoulder, please." and such things, I suppose.

Indeed, there is much more to it than 'meets the eye'.

> Hope that is useful.

Truly appreciate it!
-Mickey