Re: [OM] 50mm MC F1.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm MC F1.8
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:06:45 -0500
Sticky aperture is only "common" on the later models of
the 50mm 1.8 (the ones with the serial # on the back).
It can happen to almost any 50mm f/1.4, but it's rare.
By sticky, I mean the aperture blades move sluggishly.
This is caused by lubrication from the helicoid
migrating into the aperature's mechanism.  This will
be evident at any aperture setting, and can be corrected
only by disassembly and cleaning the excess lube from
the mechanism.

On earlier 1.8's (and some 1.4's as well), a lever
inside can wear out after much use, causing the blades
to jam at smaller apertures (f/16, f/11).  Otherwise
the blades move freely.  If the aperture jams, tapping
the lens or moving the aperture ring a stop or two will
cause the blades to spring open again.  The only solution
I've found is to replace the aperture's activation lever
inside -- I've never gotten one reliable again otherwise.