Re: [OM] Winders and jammed cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Winders and jammed cameras
From: Michael Darling <cosmo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 22:20:36 -0400
No, I'm sure this isn't an electrical problem.  The shutter is half wound,
the mirror is up, and the wind lever isn't moving.  Something in the gear
train is screwy, and I'm pretty sure its that first set of gears that couple
the MD socket to the cameras guts.

Now that I've thought about it, I remember something similar happening with
my OM-1 when used with the winder1.  Some frames would be streaked -- like
the film was being wound _before_ the exposure was finished and the shutter
had closed.

Now if I hadn't used the winder1 on my OM-2s with absolutely no problems,
I'd suspect that was where the problem was.  Both of the winders (1 and 2)
work as they should with the OM-2s as well.  Considering my OM-1 and OM-2
seem to want to wind before the shutter closes, when used with either
winder, I believe the problem(s) are in the camera bodies.  Since the OM-1
acts the same way, it must be something mechanical.  Hopefully it's
something fairly common that is easily fixed by those who 'know' :)

My poor OM-1 was next in line for CLA and I was about to send it out...  Now
its the only backup body I have to my 2s.  This camera _deserves_ a CLA.  In
'89-90 it went into a local shop in Los Angeles and I was told the foam rot
in the viewfinder couldn't be cleaned as it was a 'sealed unit'.  It went on
about 80 or so camping trips since I've been using it and has trekked
through the Sierra Nevadas as many miles as I have.  It'll get fixed sooner
or later.

Sorry to everyone for the long-winded reply.  I just got out of a 3 hour
AutoCAD class, and I'm looking forward to 4 hours of studying tonight for my
midterms tomorrow...  I'm pretty burnt out, so if my logic above is flawed,
that¹s probably why.

So this is about the end of my break, time to head to the library :(

--
Michael Darling
Philadelphia, PA