Re: [OM] Sad news.. I found out today

Subject: Re: [OM] Sad news.. I found out today
From: Michael Darling <cosmo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 22:53:31 -0400
on 4/24/02 6:10 PM, Daniel J. Mitchell at DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

>> That would cause a problem with their "its impossible to use the Zuikos
>> because of the angle of light and stuff" story.
>
> Assuming that we ignore this angle-of-light-onto-CCD issue, given that
> Canon et al seem to manage just fine with their digital cameras [1], would
> it be possible to make some sort of optical adapter that would take the old
> lens and somehow tweak the light to reproject it onto a smaller final
> rectangle? It'd need to have mechanical hookups for aperture et al, which
> would certainly be a fair amount of work; is this even possible optically,
> though?

Regardless of how great the lenses are for film work, they still need to be
dumbed down to work with current CCD's.  It's got a whole lot to do with the
sampling frequency of the CCD (ala Nyquist and shannon's theorems).
Frequency in this case would be CCD pixel per unit area.  Compare this to
film and there's still a long way to go for _currently_ available sensors.
A lens really doesn't have to be that 'great' (at least by standards set on
film) to get great results with digital for just this reason.   AFAIK,
Nikon/Cannon/etc. all have these filters between the CCD and a shutter
that's used mainly for dust protection.  It wouldn't surprise me if these
filters help negate the problem with incident light.

As far as adapting OM lenses to the 'other' maker's cameras (since there
won't be a DigiOM), I'd rather have my 180/2.8 multiplied by 1.6 or whatever
current ratio is --  Gain focal length and keep the speed.  Even then OM
lenses would have to work in stop-down mode, and we'd be lucky if they kept
infinity focus.  Sure it's possible, but probably not easy nor very
economic.

Yeah its sad, but from what it looks like its the way things are going to
be.

--
Michael Darling
Philadelphia, PA