RE: [OM] Velvia 100!

Subject: RE: [OM] Velvia 100!
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:50:06 -0700 (PDT)
> brackets in the first place).  But this tends to confirm my
> own subjective
> ratification of 50 as the proper rating for my gear and my
> taste.  YMMV.

For midtone and highlight subjects, the ISO 50 rating is dead-on
and matches most any other film.  However, it's the shadows that
go dark on you.  It is preferable to underrate Velvia 1/3 of a
stop (at least) if shadow detail is what you are trying to
achieve.  But for that matter, Velvia isn't the proper film if
you like your shadow details.

In B&W printing you expose for the highlights and contrast
control for the shadows.  In color slide films, you expose for
the midtones (and highlights) and select different films for the
shadows.  Probably the widest latitude slide film I've ever used
has been RSX-50.  Shadow detail is awesome.  The grain structure
is a bit harsh, though.

I used to underrate Velvia a 1/3 stop.  Not currently, as I'm
kinda into punchy, high contrast shots (like my TOPE-9 picture)
right now.  Flavor of the year, club, I guess.

The important thing to consider about various films isn't their
saturation level (Kodak went over the top with their "all blues
and golds all the time" film), but how a particular film
responds to particular hues.

For example:  Dirt.  Average dirt will record as a variation of
gray (grey) with Kodachrome and normal Ektachrome.  Velvia and
Provia records it as brown.  Some print films will record it as
mauve.  But all other colors may match.  This isn't a saturation
issue, but how a film responds to both warm and cool tones.

AG-Schnozz