RE: [OM] Velvia 100!

Subject: RE: [OM] Velvia 100!
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:42:38 -0700

In B&W printing you expose for the highlights and contrast
control for the shadows.  In color slide films, you expose for
the midtones (and highlights) and select different films for the
shadows.  Probably the widest latitude slide film I've ever used
has been RSX-50.  Shadow detail is awesome.  The grain structure
is a bit harsh, though.

I just tried a couple of rolls of the RSX 100 and I agree. In addition, the neutral color rendition is amazing.

The important thing to consider about various films isn't their
saturation level (Kodak went over the top with their "all blues
and golds all the time" film), but how a particular film
responds to particular hues.

For example:  Dirt.  Average dirt will record as a variation of
gray (grey) with Kodachrome and normal Ektachrome.  Velvia and
Provia records it as brown.  Some print films will record it as
mauve.  But all other colors may match.  This isn't a saturation
issue, but how a film responds to both warm and cool tones.

AG-Schnozz

What put me strongly into the Agfachrome camp for a few years was the color of dirt. Unfortunately, my experience of mauve dirt was with Kodachrome. Wasn't real fond of the tinge of turquoise in all the skies.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?