Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200 f/2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200 f/2.8
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:59:11 -0700
Not to quibble too much, but f2.8 to f3.5 is 2/3 of a stop.

I like my 80-200/2.8 a lot. The speed means a bright, clear, easy to focus image in the viewfinder. My unscientific results seem in agreement with Gary's tests, really first rate performance. They seem to go for between about $300-500 on eBay, partly depending on conditoin/accessories, but part apparently at random. If you do look for one, make sure it has the tripod mount. They are indspensible with this lens, but are detachable, so not every one for sale has one. This is the same mount that fits several Tamron lenses and is no longer available new. It's the one a listee was looking for a few days ago.

Less critical, but still very desirable, is the big, solid, metal bayonet-mount hood.

It can also be used with Tamron's SP 1.4x and 2x teleconverters to make it a 112-280/f4 and 160-400/f5.6, respectively. These are converters that attach to the back of the lens instead of the Adaptall2 adapter, then the adapter attaches to the teleconverter. They are made specifically to match the Tamron SP lenses. If looking for a 2x, the later Model 01F is recommended with more lenses than the 200F. There is only 1 1.4x model, the 140F.

Like Mike V.'s, mine does have zoom creep.

Moose

Roger D. Key wrote:

It is very easy to switch mounts; you just need a Tamron Adaptall-2 OLympus
adapter, the one that says 'OL' on the mount instead of 'for Olympus OM'
('OL' version is essential for OM-3/4, unless you modify the older version
with epoxy).
They sell reasonably often on *Bay, can be expensive though.

The 85-210 Tamron is notorious for lack of sharpness; look instead for the
70-210/3.5 SP (see results in Gary's tests); the 70-210/3.5 SP (model 19AH)
was in Tamon's model lineup from 1983 up to 2000/2001, so some are newer
than others. I expect that you can still find it new in USA. This model is
only a little slower than the 80-200 (1/2 stop).