RE: Re: [OM] more on multi-spot

Subject: RE: Re: [OM] more on multi-spot
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:04:00 +1000
Babis wrote:

> Maybe I am not so good with me english and maybe I didn't give
> you the idea
> that I have in my mine.

Perhaps I misunderstood.

> Anyway - for me the basic rule/statement or what ever is that
>
> "one spot mettering to one color/surface/whatever
> always make this point to render/photographer as 16 0ray"

Make that 18% - but the principle is correct.

> So this is the start.... and there are more -thinks- base on that rule,
> that finally answer to this question.
>
> "How can I make the tone colors on my photos render -exacly- the way I won
> it"
>
> {and the way I won it may be totaly diferent the way it is
> but this is the art about.}

Exactly.

Ok,

Pick an area of your subject which you want to be rendered as 18 0rey, make
a single spot reading, expose at that reading.  On the final print the area
you chose should be 18 0rey (assuming some standard process between
exposing and printing which preserves that 18 0rey).  If the area you chose
was darker that 18 0rey it will be rendered as 18 0rey on the print, and
consequently all other tones in the original scene will be rendered lighter
on the print too, except for something which was very bright in the original
scene, it can't be rendered any brighter than the white of the paper base.
The specifix way the tones in the print are altered from the tones in the
original scene are very dependent on the characteristics of the materials
you use (film, developer (type, time, temperatire, agitation), paper, etc.,
etc.).  You can consult data sheets, read books, etc. or experiment to find
the answers.  Ansel Adams wrote 3 books on this "simple" topic !

...Wayne