[OM] Re: Developing B+W

Subject: [OM] Re: Developing B+W
From: Charles Whitaker <chas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 15:42:04 -0700
on 4/28/2002 3:16 PM, "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I use a flatbed scanner to scan the film strips
>
> You're scanning negs on a flatbed? How does that work?

I have an Epson 2450, which will do transparencies up to 4 x 9 inches. A
flatbed isn't the best way to go for full enlargements of 35mm, but it works
well for contacts and rough prints. I have a Nikon Coolscan IV ED that scans
at 2900 dpi, allowing for better enlargements. My original intent was to use
the Nikon and the relatively new "archival" hextone b&w inkjet printing
technology in order to avoid the wet darkroom, but so far the results, while
good, don't quite stand up to wet prints, especially in the blacks. There
are other inks to try (pigment-based instead of dye-based) that I've heard
are better, but they have other problems. For now, I prefer using digital to
investigate the printing possibilities of negatives, and then make wet
prints. It's a nice marriage of new and old technologies.

Charles Whitaker