[OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:38:52 +0100
Cc: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hmm, Dan.

This might be similar to my being confused between California and
Florida from across the Pond.  They're both in the US, in the South
and they're both holiday destinations... and the schools teach
Spanish.

Denmark (capital Copenhagen) is a country in the north of Europe in
Scandinavia; the people are Danish and speak Danish.  Danish is
remarkably similar to Swedish and Norwegian in that people speaking
their own languages understand each other. Roger Key lives in
Denmark, although he is English.

The Netherlands (capital The Hague, where the War Crimes Tribunal is
installed) is a country on the North Sea, opposite England.  Holland
is part of the Netherlands, but is used instead of the latter name
quite a lot.  Its people are Dutch and they speak Dutch.  Dutch is
not at all similar to Danish, Swedish or Norwegin.  Olaf Greve, who
masterminds the TOPE is Dutch.   The Netherlands is west of Germany,
north of Belgium and south of the sea.  Both Denmark and the
Netherlands are kingdoms, as is Belgium, where people speak French or
Dutch.  South of Belgium is France...

Chris