Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 23:54:01 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: "'olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Scott Gomez wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Three of the four you mention below refer to the same place/people:
>
> Holland=Dutch=The Netherlands (who are technically not Scandinavians, to my
> knowledge)

I'm technically scandinavian. I can assure you that, much as we like the
Dutch, they are not scandinavians in any way. They are, mostly, nice
people, though.....

> Danish=Danes=from Denmark (and are Scandinavians, I believe)

Yup...

> Scandinavia commonly includes Norway, Sweden and Denmark (at least to my
> memory; I don't know what's "official" any more). I'm not at all sure why it
> seems to often exclude Finland.

I am not sure. The danish, swedish and danish languages are sufficiently
close to make "brotherhood" (sisterhood...sieblinghood - what's the PC
term these days) really easy.

In Finland they speak a language, which is rather different from
danish/norwegian/swedish. I think Finnish is a slavic language or
something.....

So the language similarity (denmark/sweden/norway) and difference (with
finland) may be one factor why in the "public mind" finland is not spoken
with the other three.

Nonetheless.....photographically, finland offers a lot. I'd reccomend it
as a vacation spot to anyone who can tolerate mosquitos in exchange for a
lot of beauty...

> Much confusion in the USA often stems from the fact that Germans were
> commonly called "Dutch" here. The term was further liberally applied to most
> any European immigrants of generally blonde "Nordic" look, as well.
> For
> example, the "Pennsylvania Dutch" are actually of German origin. In this
> case (as is the case with many of German origin) the appellation "Dutch"
> used in the USA seems to be a corruption of the German word "Deutsch," which
> was used by those immigrants to describe themselves in their native
> language.

"Deutsch" simply means "german" in german :) (Bernd, did I spell that
right? I read german better than I write).

--thomas

> ---
> Scott Gomez

  Thomas Heide Clausen