RE: [OM] XA question.

Subject: RE: [OM] XA question.
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:36:07 -0600
> Is the XA a good camera?  Is it a good point and shoot camera?

 See the archives of this list, thread "Re: [OM] Point-and-shoots -- XA -vs-
Stylus Epic/mjuII?". You'll need to plough back through the digests until
you hit the ones around 13/march/02, but there's a lot of stuff in there.

 To answer the questions, though; yes, and yes-but.. it doesn't do
autofocus, so while it's just fine if you set it at hyperfocal and shut it
down enough to get a lot of depth-of-field, you lose a bit of speed there
which may or may not be important to you. On the upside, if you _do_ do that
you have far less shutter lag than you would with autofocus delay, unless
you're prepared to wander around constantly half-pressing the shutter
release or whatever. I don't think this is a big deal, but I can think of
situations where it would definitely be a noticeable advantage; depends on
the type of shooting you do. (ie, is an out-of-focus shot worse than a shot
taken 1/4 of a second too late, and which of the two are you more likely to
end up taking?)

 -- dan