Re: [OM] Help choosing a lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Help choosing a lens
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:08:51 -0700
Hi,
I would like to use your advice on which lens I should buy.
The lens is going to be used mostly for bringing landscape features closer
and when flat representation of a landscape is needed. Distortion and bokeh
are more of a consern than sharpness (on the pictures taken with my current
lens, the horizon looks more like an arch....it also casts some ugly
greenish which I hate so much)
I am on a very tight budget now and this is why am going el cheapo.
Here are the lenses I am considering:
Olympus Zuiko 70-210 f/4.5-5.6
Tamron 70-210 f/4.5-5.6 Mfr Catalog # A58200 (the one with the 52mm filter
ring)
Tokina 70-210 f/4.5-5.6 Mfr Catalog # SZX210NO (the one with the 49mm filter
ring)
The one from Phoenix, I do not why, just think that there might be 1 in
1000000000 to say something nice about it.
Please, let me which one would be most suitable for my purposes.
Thanks
Boris

Ah, the one lens to do it all. The 50mm, of course. A late model 1.8 or 1.4 will be reasonable in cost, sharper, and less distortion than the choices you are considering, and they have fine bokeh and lots more speed. If you would like a little more flexibility, you may find a 35-70/4, 35-105 or 35-70/3.6 a more useful choice than a 70-210. 200mm is nice to have, but I don't use it much compared to shorter lengths with landscapes.

On second thought why don't you look at the landscape gallery on the photo exhibition for this group and see what lenses they used. You will see lots of variation, but perhaps you will see a pattern of use in the kind of pictures you want to take. The url is http://www.millennics.com/olympus/tope/gallery.html
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?