Re: [OM] beginners camera

Subject: Re: [OM] beginners camera
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:27:39 -0700
I have mentioned that I have in the past made several trips to Bolivia.
Well, now it looks like my 19 year old son is going for an 8 week summer
mission trip, leaving May 20th. He has never taken much interest in cameras.
But I want to get him something (perferably olympus) that will hopefully
provide some decent correct exposures. I'm looking for recommendations for a
camera that might (very good chance) get stolen, that will give decent
exposures in difficult conditions (read near equator at 9000 - 14,000 ft
altitudes), with a complete novice. Also, what film should I send? I
personally like Kodachrome 64, but am thinking maybe he should go with
something in negative film, and somewhat faster. I'm also concerned about
the airport xray damage problem. Also, because it is their winter, he will
be experiencing a little over 12 hours darkness, so needs something with
built in flash. Also, he will be spending at least 2 weeks in extreme
conditions with freezing nights and no heat, and extreme!! dust conditions
(altiplano of Bolivia), so it has to be something that doesn't freeze up in
dust, and that can keep going battery power wise. Any suggestions?
Wayne

A Stylus Epic(non-zoom) would be hard to beat for the conditions you describe. Easy to use for someone who is not too interested in the process of photo making. It is well sealed against dust and moisture. It has a versatile and effective flash system. It is inexpensive. It has a great lens which is fast, F2.8, for those shots in the fading light. It is small and pocketable so that it does not call attention to itself. The cheap black one is better in that department.

Depending on whether he can obtain reliable local processing he may prefer to share prints with people he is photographing so that they are happier with the idea of being photographed.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?