Re: [OM] Bryhn Chart method of F280

Subject: Re: [OM] Bryhn Chart method of F280
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 13:13:31 +0200
At 00:23 01.05.02, Tom Trottier wrote:
Why underexpose on auto?

Short answer: Don't underexpose on auto. If you use print film you can use my chart as a rough distance guide and let auto do it's thing, but don't blame me later.

Long answer: The point of this chart is to *meter*, *set manually*, and have a *predictable outcome* (See "Suggested use...". I'm sure there are other ways to utilize this chart, but as always, you do so at you own risk, auto or not.) F280 will add light to the scene, so in auto there's no simple way to predict what the camera will decide is enough exposure, as it will depend on how much of your subject fills the frame and how bright it is compared to the background. Neither can you decide and set the fill-in-ratio without first (spot)metering the subject, so generally auto is pretty useless if absolute predictability is what you're after.

Thomas Bryhn