Re: [OM] On 200 f4

Subject: Re: [OM] On 200 f4
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 16:43:38 +0200
On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 06:21:14PM -0400, Boris Grigorov wrote:
>  Greetings,

> What I know about lenses came from Gary's tests.  How do the Zuiko70-210 and
> 200/f4 compare?  What am I missing?  Except for the MC version of the prime,
> it seems to me that 70-210 has a slightly better performance.

There are only very few single coated 200mm F4-lenses around. Only the old
silver-nosed
200 mm lenses without MC-mark are not multicoated. Olympus dropped the
MC-marking
when all lenses were Multicoated.
Gary`s 200mm tests shows clearly that shooting with longer focal lenghts
vibration
damping is a major issue. The SC-variant was only tested with the 'shaky'
camera.

I like my 200mm /F4, not marked but MC, for the very good transmission.
 Because it contains only very few elements there is less light loss compared
to a zoom.

I can shoot with almost one stop faster than with my 65-200/ F4, and a similar
third
party zoom. This difference is often cruial for getting a good picture.

Frieder Faig