[OM] CA Speedway NASCAR (longish)

Subject: [OM] CA Speedway NASCAR (longish)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 15:26:28 -0700
Sorry, not much in the way of work to share, yet, but some observations
to share. There are a small number of E-10 shots here:
http://motorsportvisions.com/cawc02d/index.htm I have a lot of editing
and scanning yet to do and will post a link to all once I'm done.

Anyway, noticed a woman I have seen shooting a few times this year now
(previously at the CART "Sneak Preview" and Long Beach GP) who uses
nothing but an E-10. Her E-10 is getting some serious use. That camera
has an unbelievable amount of brassing and little dings, but apparently
keeps plugging away. Nice to see.

Not as many exclusive digital shooters as I had seen at NASCAR events
last year. In my observation NASCAR events tend to have the highest
ratio of digital users, but most this season seemed to have some
reverting back to shooting a mix of film and digital. Provia F appeared
to be the most popular film choice. Many more shooting just film than I
had seen last year there. Hmmm...

Ran into a guy in the Media Lounge who spotted the E-10 hanging off
Lena's shoulder. He asked her about how she liked it, and since she was
at a loss for words, I stepped in and answered his questions. Turns out
he's a Can*n wunderbrick shooter (no big surprise there) who bought an
E-100RS because "it does 10 FPS." Sigh. I glanced down at the
OM-2S/Winder 1/Tamron 80-200/2.8 I was carrying and explained that it
works real well *if* you use it like an old fashioned manual focus
camera. I explained the concept of pre-focus, timing, release points,
etc. He grasped it all right away and was very gracious and thankful. He
indicated he wished he had gotten an E-10 because the ergonomics are
better, it makes bigger files, and the manual focus isn't push-button
like on the E-100RS. Scary to think a professional racing photographer
didn't understand the concepts of manual pre-focusing and thought 10FPS
was the magic feature that swayed him to buy an E-100RS over an E-10.

BTW, prices are coming down on E-10s and 20s, must be a new one in the
offing from Olympus this fall...

Not much use for my favorite lens at first, except for the tower high
above turn 1 for the start shot. Then I realized that even with the 1.4X
converter that the 80-200 was lacking in reach (never mind the E-10 with
200mm adapter lens). So I try panning these 180mph beasts off the
mono-pod. That didn't feel real good so I did the unthinkable. I took
the mono-pod off, hefted up the ~10 pound combination OM-4t/MD2/350/2.8
and started panning away, hand-held. Right away I thought to myself,
"hmm, this actually seems to be working." I was only good for bursts of
4-5 shots before I had to rest. My left arm was a tad sore the next day
too. But low and behold I got a few really nice (too few because I
didn't do this for long and it was late in the race by the time I tried)
frame filling, eye popping, sharp pans of 180mph Winston Cup cars. So, I
now take back the statement that the 350/2.8 can not be hand held ;-)

ALMS sportscars in a little over two weeks at Sears Point are next...

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com