RE: [OM] CA Speedway NASCAR (longish)

Subject: RE: [OM] CA Speedway NASCAR (longish)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 09:48:01 -0700
In a message dated 5/1/2002 James N. McBride writes:

<< I am curious as to what kind of head you use to support the big 350
on a
monopod. I recently bought a Bogen 3421 "Heavy Duty Lens Support" which
might be very good for race photography. Have you tried one of those? >>

I have an older Gitzo monopod (mid-1980s). All the monopods I see used
for motorsports have fixed attachment. I have had good luck panning off
the monopod in slower speed situations (road circuits) but it gets
sketchy with the cars moving ~180mph. Much to my surprise, it worked
well hand-held.

I am kinda wanting a different monopod though. I'm thinking Bogen. The
Gitzo has twist locks that take forever to extend and lock. The Bogens
have quick release levers. Also, the Gitzo has tilt, but won't fold flat
against the lens to carry which is cumbersome when moving around (not an
issue 'till I fix the lens mount lock on the 350).

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com