Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 08:52:10 +1200
Hi Roger

Probably something to do with the first European to clap eyes on NZ was
one Abel Zanzoon Tasman sent over by the Dutch East India Company from
Indonesia to do some exploring. He left after a somewhat bruising encounter
with brown-skinned natives !!

Who knows why the change in spelling?

And now we are back on this topic, I could remark on the fact that seafaring
peoples of the European countries - fishermen - used to meet and mingle on
the North Sea and probably on the rich cod fishing grounds of Iceland and
Greenland. Fishers from Scotland, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal.

That may explain why the Scots version of the English language has some
words in common with Dutch. For example. kerk = church; the verb 'to ken' =
"to know" (a person) as in the old song "Do ye ken John Peel with his coat
so gay".

Brian