Re: [OM] Going to Japan....

Subject: Re: [OM] Going to Japan....
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 14:46:12 -0700
Hello All,

This summer I am lucky enough to go on a business-trip to Japan. I'll have
stuff to do in Yokohama (just outside Tokyo), but do plan to extend my
stay a bit and get to see (at least) Osaka and Kyoto as well.....

Now....of course, I've gotten my hands on the Lonely Planet for Japan.
However I'd also like to solicit for some tips and hints from any
list-members who might be familiar with the area (country). Where's good
to go? What are the musts and must nots?

Of course, I thought about making a one-person demonstration at the
Olympus headquaters (carrying a sign saying "Reincarnate the OM-line" or
something), but somehow I feel that this would be futile :(

Also, I had a very pleasent meeting with fellow listees Steve and Chris
(hi) when I was in Minneapolis this march. It was lots of fun. So if
there're any listees in the area I'll be visiting, it would be fun to get
together.

I'm also considering what photo-stuff to bring. Normally, I don't mind
size and weight since I often have a fixed base at a hotel and a rental
car. However this time I'll probably be travelling by public
transportation, not staying at one hotel for very long. So weight/size
will come into play and a compelling reason is needed for carrying the
300/4.5 along this time....

Ideally, I'd have slides, color-print and s/h available, but....hmm....

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering

Even though you have Lonely Planet I would like to recommend the Rough Guides. They are terrific and frequently amusing in their commentary. They concentrate much more on things to do and to see, rather than which hotels to stay in. Rather than rank all the restaurants in a particular area, they will list a half dozen really special ones. They are not afraid to tell you if they think something is a waste of time. For instance, I got a beautiful and photogenic bus tour in Tierra del Fuego instead of the train to the end of the world tour which they described as a low budget Disney ride for tourists. Feed back from people who took the train confirmed what the book said.

I am jealous. I would love to see Kyoto. There is a wonderful garden there that was featured on PBS a few years ago. It is absolutely stunning.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?