Re: [OM] Tamron 2.8/28~105

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 2.8/28~105
From: w shumaker <rlist@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 10:34:25 -0400
The main problem with the Tamron, IMHO, (besides its bulky ness) is that
the focus ring does not turn much and is not damped as well as the
zuiko, like a lot of manual versions of auto-focus lenses. Hence the
short turn made it difficult for me to focus accurately. I us the
zuiko 35-80/2.8 the majority of the time. It handles well.

The sharpness of a lens test is how well a lens maps a plane to a
plane, but how often do we really photograph a plane? (I guess infinity
would be considered a plane.) Most of my subjects are 3 dimensional,
which means I have to frame, focus, and control depth of field. If I can't
focus the lens quickly and with confidence on the plane of interest, it
doesn't matter how sharp the lens is. If it's too big and bulky, like
the Tamron, I'm not as likely to take it with me. I kept the Tamron for
only a short while before I gave it up. I hope it works better for you.

Wayne