Re: [OM] best monitor for photo work

Subject: Re: [OM] best monitor for photo work
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 08:38:38 -0600
At 06:08 AM 03/05/2002 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:
>Several months ago I was forced to replace a horribly expensive 20" Sony that I
>hadn't amortized. (The horizontal sweep blew out, and the estimate was about
>the cost of a new monitor.) Although I've seen other good monitors (I
>especially liked MAG/Innovision), I remained a staunch Sony guy.
>
>A good friend urged me to look at ViewSonic, which he thought highly of. I
>bought an A95f, which uses a perfectly flat 19" Trinitron CRT made by
>Mitsubishi.
>
>Wow.
>
>It's better than any Sony I've owned. The linearity is better, and it doesn't
>suffer from the slight misconvergeance I've seen on every Sony, whether TV or
>computer monitor.

I have to chime in here, both in response to the above and to C. H. Ling's
post, wherein he praises Sony monitors.

I think Sony monitors are *crap,* given the exorbitant premiums on price you're
charged whenever you buy the Sony label.  While there's a lot of innovation in
many of their product designs, I have yet to see a Sony monitor (or TV!) that
was worth the sticker price.  Now, if they slashed their prices by, oh, say, a
third across-the-board, *then* they might be competitive.  Trinitron *tubes*
are fine -- it just seems that Sony engineers can't get the damn things
precisely aligned.

If you want the Sony cachet, then by all means buy a Sony.  If you want a good
monitor at a fair price, AVOID SONY LIKE THE PLAGUE.  NEC, Viewsonic, Samsung
(mentioned by Bryan Pilati -- I'd forgotten about them), all are good value for
your hard-earned cash.  And as I mentioned previously, compare and contrast
monitors before buying.  There's also some sample variation within production
runs of the same model. (Mind you, I didn't take my own advice in this regard
-- when I got my Nokia, I had to order it sight unseen -- no retailer in
Edmonton had one, and none would bring one in "on spec" for me; it was either
cash up front, or no monitor.  I went with my gut [as well as several very
favourable reviews I found on the Web], and thankfully I've been delighted with
the choice...)

Garth