Re: [OM] planet pic bracketing

Subject: Re: [OM] planet pic bracketing
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 16:32:57 +0100
Wow! That's a lot of over exposed photographs. I've never used ISO 800
for astrophotography as the grain is just too coarse, and there is
really not much, if any, visible difference between ISO 400 and ISO 800.
Sky and Telescope confirmed this a few years back in one of its issues
when they reviewed films for astrophotography, its a good article which
I dare say you've read.

Personally, I always find that ISO 200 is perfect for most needs,
especially general photography of the night sky. As for exposure times
it is a case of experience and bracketing. On a dark night with ISO 200
and a 28mm Zuiko f2.8 (at f2.8) a 5 second exposure will record the sky
and keep sky glow to a minimum from my home location. Here in Bristol,
UK though that's impossible!

Its a great picture though. Is the green at the centre of the exposure
light pollution? I can't say I've ever seen green light pollution
before! Its just the last time I took a picture of a planetary
conjucnction (2000 April 6/7) was also one on the biggest auroral
storms for some time wand auroral glow was present on the image with
the planets. Needless to say there was only two images of the
conjunction the rest was used on the auroral display!!!

Best Wishes,
Gareth.

Gareth.J.Martin,
Research Postgraduate,