RE: [OM] 28mm f2.0 versus 28mm f2.8

Subject: RE: [OM] 28mm f2.0 versus 28mm f2.8
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 12:14:53 -0500
>===== Original Message From frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx =====
>I know a person who prefers the 28mm F2.8 over the F2 variant because of
>good sharpness combined with excetional high contrast ( his opinion -
> and  he tested a lot of lenses).
> My guess: the 2.8 version has more sample variation, beeing
>a less expensive lens manufactured in bigger batches.

I can't compare my 28/2.8 with the 2.0 because I don't have a 2.0, but I've
put together an image taken with the Zuiko 28/2.8 and a comparison with the
Zuiko 35-80/2.8 @35mm:

http://soli.inav.net/~jdub/Zuiko28.html

(Unfortunately, these are examples of WA images that don't have the desired
impact in web sizes, a la Moose's recent comment.)

I guess I am in the market eventually for the 28/2 because of most people's
experience with it, and I really enjoy the focal length, but I'm not in a rush
as the 28/2.8 has been a good performer for me.  I usually stop down to f8 or
f11 and focus hyperfocally.  When I hear someone complain about this lens, I
am suspicious of handheld/wide-open/focusing errors.

Joel W.