Re: [OM] Samyang/Phoenix

Subject: Re: [OM] Samyang/Phoenix
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 14:50:38 -0700
Well, questions about manufacturer and marketing names aside, there are 2 UWA zooms out there for Olys: One is mostly plastic on the outside, light weight and marked 19-35mm. (I have one labeled Vivitar and Walt has one labeled Phoenix.) The other is mostly metal on the outside, heavy and marked 18-28mm. (I have seen it for sale many places, always labeled Samyang.)

User comments I recall on the metal one give decidedly mixed reviews for image quality and always mention wonderful solidity. User comments on the plastic one say something like "Takes good (or great) pictures, I can't believe this light plastic thing will last, but it was so cheap and works, so who cares?", but nobody mentions one breaking.

Moose

Lee Penzias wrote:

I may be mistaken, but from their website I saw (RE: mirror lenses) Phoenix *IS* Samyang. Phoenix is the USA marketing company - Samyang the actual manufacturer in Korea.
Regards,
Lee