Re: [OM] Film scanner advice wanted-SCSI

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner advice wanted-SCSI
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 19:10:02 -0700
Macs have had SCSI for years and it has never been a problem for me. You do have to understand how it works and adding a third party card and using the scanner's driver can be a crap shoot. That said SCSI, except for super high end, is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Base level SCSI is not all that fast. Enhanced versions are very fast, but I am not sure if the SCSI built into scanners take advantage of the enhanced versions' speed. At any rate enhanced SCSI cards are very expensive. Apple has replaced it with FireWire and PCs seem to be going toward an enhanced USB2. Most large file scanners are coming out with a FireWire connection.

Any scanner still using SCSI exclusively is old technology. Normal USB is too slow to handle the large files of a film scanner. Based on what is available now you should be probably looking for a FireWire scanner( which does not have the little pesky rules that SCSI has). If the scanner has been improved to handle FireWire you can probably be confident that improvements have also been made in the imaging portion of the scanner since the design of the SCSI model. FireWire cards that move data right along retail for less than a $100 now.

Just my $0.02.

Winsor

Richard Hawkins wrote:

I'm looking for advice from of the film scanner users. I am interested in being able to scan negatives, slides, and possible my wife's APS "film". I want to find out more about the Polaroid, Canon, and Scanwit scanners, digital ICE advantages and disadvantages. Also I believe most of the scanners have been SCSI devices, any problems with cards or drivers and Windows 98 or Mac OS9 (yes I am a computer junkie and have both types of machines). Are their any problems with the negative or slide adapters for any of these machines. Software advice concerning bundled software and Vuescan would also be helpful. I will be using Photoshop 5.5 in Windows 98. Lastly, I need direction to websites or reviews of these would also help. Sorry for all the questions but I want to make a informed purchase. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Rich

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?