Re: [OM] Mix & match

Subject: Re: [OM] Mix & match
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 00:00:55 -0500
At 12:34 5/4/02, Pete Prunskunas wrote:
I have a question for those of you who use 2+ camera bodies.
If you use multiple camera bodies, are they the same?

No . . . OM-4, OM-2S and OM-1n . . . reasons follow . . .

Or do you use a manual and an automatic? I'm not talking about the case where you buy a spare body on ebay, but where you use multiple bodies on a regular basis. I can see an obvious advantage to having multiple bodies of the same model (no confusion), but what about the reverse case?

OM-4 is primary body. OM-2S is secondary and backup for TTL/OTF. The OM-2S is less expensive, but operates much the same for TTL/OTF Auto and flash control. Also allows occasionally running two different film types. OM-1n is used in severe cold weather outdoors during winter when the OM-4 and OM-2S will quit after the batteries in them get too cold (about 30-45 minutes outdoors; somewhat temperature dependent). It's also another backup that allows continuing to use two bodies if the OM-4 or OM-2S require servicing.

The OM-1n has also been used at a friend's studio with monolights. TTL/OTF Auto stuff isn't used in that environment. Setting monolight power for specific apertures using a flash meter is. Shutter is set to 1/60th X-Sync. Since the TTL metering isn't used and it has a mechanical shutter, the OM-1n need not be turned on. Since everything is manually set, the OM-1n is simpler to use than the OM-4 or OM-2S in that environment. Set lights using flash meter, set shutter speed and aperture on body, and hook up the lights using a PC cord. After that, one need only worry about perspective and focus provided monolight to subject distance doesn't change much.

-- John