Re: [OM] Film scanner advice wanted

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner advice wanted
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 09:57:12 +0100
To add to Moose's useful observations (although I wish he hadn't
pointed out that some scanners don't need ICE by dint of their
optical design :>)), here are mine.

I bought a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual (2420dpi, SCSI with my Mac was
easy) in 99 and exchanged it for a Dimage Scan Elite F2900 (2800dpi)
late last year.  My latest scanner has ICE and I use it most of the
time, rather than do the dust by hand.  Minolta's interface is very
good, and I rarely use Vuescan but for a second opinion, as it were,
since it takes much longer to reach an image in Photoshop (Elements).
I have tried this "raw scan" business, by the way, and it seems
merely to be a TIFF file.

I too would have liked a higher res scanner, but I am sure that the
files would have been large enough to be a pain to manipulate.
Anyway, 2800dpi is good enough for 10x8s at 400dpi printing
resolution.

I store my image files on my hard drive in the first instance, then
transfer them to CD when I have enough files.  I keep only the
web-sized files on my hard drive, for reference, cataloguing and use
on the Internet.  I have a large hard drive (60Gb) but my back up
drive is only 20Gb, part of which I use as the Scratch disk for PS
Elements, so I am trying to maintain my hard drive use below about
15Gb...

I am about to buy an Epson 2450 for my 645 negs, if only the stock
would appear in GB.

Chris

p.s. for the Digest readers, please note that I have reduced the size
of my sig :>).cb.