[OM] Mix & match

Subject: [OM] Mix & match
From: "Andy Gilbert" <gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 17:16:10 +0100
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 14:25:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Mix & match

On Sat, 4 May 2002 11:34:26 -0600, Pete Prunskunas wrote:

>I am curious
>about the general consensus.  If you use multiple camera bodies,
>are they the same?  Or do you use a manual and an automatic?

I use them both ways. I have a couple of 4Ts, an OM-1, an OM-10 with
a manual adaptor, and an IS-30.

One of my 4Ts is always my primary camera, and the choice of whether
to back it up with the other 4T or the OM-1 depends on the type of
shooting.  The OM-10 generally lives on a shelf, and the IS-30 is
essentially relegated to my wife's use.

> I use mine in a variety of ways.  I have an OM4 & OM4Ti, when the 4's
viewfinder is fixed these would be my main 2 bodies to use together, easy to
use both being the same is my thinking.  I also have an OM1N & OM2N, in
manual mode these are also essentially the same, and I do use manual a lot
on landscapes, where I like to take my time. (As a reaction to my working
life
;)  )   I sometimes like to have a retro day & just take the OM1N & a couple
of primes, this was my first decent camera many years ago, so it's a
nostalgia thing, but VERY satisfying!  The OM2N I have because it was a
fang, but wouldn't sell it anyway.  It is in great condition & has been 100%
reliable, is no trouble, doesn't eat batteries, etc. Then I have a beat up
OM40, which was also suitably cheap, and sees occasional use when I don't
want to risk my more prized bodies.  For example, a night down the pub with
my family produced few photos, but one trashed |OM4. (see above)   Or for
outdoor pursuits.  For flash I like to use OTF metering & so go for The OM4
or OM2.  If doing something important to other people a back up is
important, so then I use the OM4 (most options) with the OM2 as a backup.
(most reliable)  though the ultimate backup has to be the OM1.  Dead
batteries? no problem, except that sunny F16 rule applies!  When using print
& slide film together I prefer to use 2 different bodies, OM4 fo slide (more
precise metering) & OM1 or 2 for print.
 I think I probably have too many bodies ;)  but I've built them up over the
past 8 years, in some sort of logical progression, and don't imagine selling
any, or buying any more to actually use, though you never know!  Of course
there is an element of zuikoholism in all of this, and I am lucky enough to
have the OM's I really like.  (Except the OM3Ti ;)

Andy Gilbert
Exeter
Devon
England