Re: [OM] B&H, Adorama, & KEH used

Subject: Re: [OM] B&H, Adorama, & KEH used
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 12:49:10 -0500
At 12:03 5/5/02, Pete asked:
Anyone want to comment on used goods bought through the
"big three"?  I've heard that KEH can almost be conservative
in their grading, but their prices are at the high end of the scale.
B&H seems to have the best reputation of all online or catalog
photo shops.  I am most interested in whether the grading was
accurate as advertised.

Pete

Been my observation (not scientifically studied in detail with data) that B&H, while very competitive with new prices, runs high with used prices. Could be the used items I've looked at compared to KEH and Adorama pricing. KEH is very conservative with its grading. B&H runs 2nd with definitely above average and Adorama about 3rd ("slightly above average"). I've done business with all three. KEH and B&H seem better organized, at least in dealing with through web ordering. Adorama is reliable and I've never encountered any problems with any of them. Order-to-ship on "in stock" items seems slightly (emphasis on slightly) faster with KEH and B&H.

Watch the Jewish religious holidays for B&H and Adorama though. If it's on or near one of the high holidays they'll be closed and an on-line order will wait until they're open again. Both announce this on their main page, but some people miss it in eagerness to get to the product listings.

Finally, no business is perfect. It's what they do when they're not that also counts. Do enough business with a firm and something will eventually go awry. Both B&H and KEH have been very easy to work with on the couple rare occasions in this regard (I've done a *lot* of business with both). No experience with Adorama; I've done less business with them.

-- John