[OM] Night Sky at Sea (was Planets, Green, Film, Bracketing)

Subject: [OM] Night Sky at Sea (was Planets, Green, Film, Bracketing)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 21:28:43 EDT
Scott Gomez wrote:

>Truly awesome. It's where I learned that outer space has true (and vast!)
>depth. Those aren't just little dots of light on an inverted bowl. :-)

>I wondered that about cruise ships. They've always been lit up like
>Christmas trees when I've seen them at sea. A shame really, because there's
>so much "added value" they could give passengers if they were not.

Agree, Scott.  Had the same experience in the N. Pacific aboard a Coast Guard
cutter (Mellon).  A truly breathtaking sight until you get "used to it".  So
many stars I had trouble picking out the ones I was trying to shoot for
morning and evening stars, until I got oriented.

That experience changes forever your perspective on the universe and our
little speck of it.

I wonder if cruise ships ever go "dark" for the benefit of the passengers
having a night sky viewing experience?  I suppose circle dog zulu just never
happens aboard them... party, party, party.

Easiest way for me to get a similar experience now (ah, viewing the night sky
in all its splendor, that is) is to drive over Chinook Pass (just east of
Mount Rainier) at night, and stop at the summit (on the ocassional clear
night, of course).  5,430 feet elevation, and NO lights up there (no ski
area, no restrooms, no McDonalds, and I hope it stays that way FOREVER)
except the occasional passing car (esp. LATE at night).

 <A
HREF="http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/regions/SouthCentral/chinook_cayuse/default.htm";>WSDOT
 Chinook Pass</A>

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/regions/SouthCentral/chinook_cayuse/default.htm

Rich (getting the itch to go back to sea... somebody stop me)