RE: [OM] Mix & match

Subject: RE: [OM] Mix & match
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 10:20:29 -0600
> OM-1n is used in severe cold weather outdoors during winter when
> the OM-4 and OM-2S will quit after the batteries in them get too cold
> (about 30-45 minutes outdoors; somewhat temperature dependent).

 As a counterpoint to this, some of the TOPE9 shots I took (none of which
are the final result) were taken on ski lifts/slopes, temperatures down
around -25c or so. (yes, it was _far_ too cold to be fiddling around with
lenses.. my hands did not like me).

 No battery problems whatsoever -- the trick was to put the body in one
inside jacket pocket (in a generic soft case for protection) and the lenses
in another one, and only assemble it when necessary.

 Admittedly, this style of carrying was enforced by the fact that I was
there primarly to snowboard so I didn't want to be carrying a big camera bag
-- but as long as you don't need any huge lenses (24/2 and 35-70 3.5/3.5 in
a shared case fit just fine in the pocket I was using), this works
surprisingly well, and solves all the temperature problems.

 -- dan