RE: [OM] Developing B+W -- how many shots actually see enlargemen t?

Subject: RE: [OM] Developing B+W -- how many shots actually see enlargemen t?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 14:06:10 -0600
 And, a week later, I finally got a few hours in a row together to play with
this stuff.

>- put the paper in on top, one at a time, using a dry hand to put it in,
>  and a wet hand to make sure it's all wetted.
>- once all the prints are in, stabilise with one hand, slide the bottom
>  print out and put it on the top, then push down to wet it all
>- repeat continuously, until...

 All was fine so far

> - when a print looks done, put it in the water bath & swish
> around for a second or two.

 which I completely failed to do, because I forgot to print this lot out and
only remembered the vague gist of it. So everything just got developed for
"about a minute and a half" which should mean that the print that went in
first is a bit over-developed, but at least the last one is okay.  That
said, everything turned out surprisingly well -- nothing spectacular yet,
but it was certainly a lot quicker and than it would have been doing
everything one at a time, and I can always go back to do stuff with loving
care, rather than on autopilot.

 In the end, I spend more time loading strips of negatives in/out of the
negative holder and plastic files.. I worked out that I can just about
squeeze the negatives in without unloading the negative holder from the
enlarger, though I can't help feeling this is probably not the best idea for
keeping the negatives unscratched.

>   To avoid developing alergies, and to improve the grip, you
> may wish to use rubber or disposable gloves.

 I'd not noticed how 'slippery' developer is until now -- doing things one
at a time, I could move all the prints around with tongs, but now I have my
hands in it's very noticeable. I'm using stop bath to stop things, which has
the rather pleasant side effect of making my fingers nice and squeaky again
as it cancels out the developer on there as well as on the prints..

 And I finally got around to making up a print washer -- sure, it's pretty
ugly, but for CDN$20 I can't really complain, and it beats all kinds of heck
out of standing over the sink spraying water around for 10 minutes..
(especially now I'm doing enough stuff at once that it doesn't all fit at
the same time).

 Thanks again to everyone for the advice!

 -- dan