Re: [OM] Going to Japan....

Subject: Re: [OM] Going to Japan....
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 01:51:43 +0200 (CEST)
Olaf, Dorothée, Steve, Harry, Winsor, Jim, and all...

Thanks for many interresting advices on what to do and see. I'm in the
process of deciding upon the details of my stay. I'll probably post an
updated plan at some point ;)

I'll probably fly in through Osaka, and take a train to Yokohama
(work) and from there to Tokyo. After absorbing a bit of Tokyo, I'll head
back to Osaka and from there Kyoto and (probably) some other
destinations.

I've heard that domestic flights are not that expensive (and I have a pile
of frequent flyer miles in StarAlliance - ANA is a member hereof..hmm...),
so I've thought about going to some farther away places (Being into
japanese martial arts, I am definitely going to benefit from the trip to
do some training - which may require hitting Okinawa). However much of
that depends on the opinion of the CDFO (whom I, unfortunately, cannot
bring on this trip).

Anyways, I have considred the following camera-setup:

        OM2s/p + Winder2 (slides)
        OM4 + MD1        (color print)
        OM1 + Winder 2   (b/w)

I'm conciously selecting the OM2s/p for use with slides: I use manuel mode
(and hence spot metering) exclusively with the 2s/p, and find the
continous spot-mode usefull when shooting with a winder. The OM4 with
print will go mostly in auto, I think

And the following lenses:

        24/2.0
        135/2.8
        200/4
        35-105/3.5-4.5

Since I may get to photograph in-door (martial arts training is among what
I hope to encounter), I may either replace the 135/2.8 with the 85/2 or
suplement with the 85/2 to get a little more light. Anyone see anything
I've forgotten or anything that might be in excess?

I'm not sure where to go with films...I'll probably bring Kodakchrome
25's, and probably also Ektachrome 100WS (I've grown to like the WS
variation). I guess it should be enough slide-wise. B/w will be PanF, and
color print will probably be Provia 160 (possibly VS).

Which brings me to the final issue: any reccomended processing sites in
Osaka? It would be fun to get (at least) the prints developed on the spot,
however only if it can be done by a reasonably good lab....

That's all ;) Ohh, except that I am still looking for a Zuikoholics
Anonymous meeting while in Japan. Are there really no list-members in
Japan??

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering