[OM] leaking batteries

Subject: [OM] leaking batteries
From: William Sommerwerck <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 10:37:19 -0700
Any battery can leak -- but some brands seem to be worse than others.

Used equipment often contains ancient batteries. My experience has been that
Duracell (Mallory) batteries are far more likely to leak than Energizer
(Eveready).

This applies even to current production! An Olympus D1000 and a Polaroid I-Zone
were damaged by leaking Duracells. It wasn't the usual whitish powder -- it was
a clear corrosive liquid that leaked from the cells. The Polaroid was fixed
with a bit of cleaning; Duracell had to pay to repair the Olympus.

I've had two interesting incidents with Evereadys. An unopened Polavision
camera outfit had four AA cells in perfect condition, and fully capable of
running the camera, despite the fact the outfit was almost 20 years old! And a
Polaroid 360 outfit that was used by a little old lady only on weekends had
intact Eveready batteries that were still powering the shutter and timer -- 30
years after the camera had been purchased! (Yes, they were the original
batteries -- I could tell by the jacket design.)

I recommend avoiding Duracells.