RE: [OM] Mushy foam & Silica gel

Subject: RE: [OM] Mushy foam & Silica gel
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 07:37:39 +1200
Hi Roger and others,

I have about a pound-weight of silica gel, and as soon as it turns pink from
the "dry-state" blue, I warm up the oven in the kitchen to just under water
boiling-point and pop the gel in there for at least 30 minutes - until it turns
bright blue again, anyway.

As far as I know, the stuff can be re-cycled like this until it all crumbles to
dust.  No need to discard the small packets if you want to use the gel again
and again.  Once it's full of all the moisture it can absorb, it's not doing
anything useful re protecting your (camera, binoculars, whatever) from
moisture.

my $0.02 ..... Brian