Re: [OM] Fuji vs Kodak

Subject: Re: [OM] Fuji vs Kodak
From: "Pete Prunskunas" <pyotr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 16:43:41 -0600
> You do know, don't you, that the manufacturers adjust their films for
> several regions in the world according to that area's dominant skin tones.
> Film bought in one part of the world could give you less than desired
> results in another part of the world.  That's why you must be careful,
> and experiment beforehand, when you buy a grey market film that was
> made for another market.

FWIW: I asked B&H about their three grades of film, USA, USAW, &
Imported, and whether the USAW (film made in the USA for export) or
the Imported was made for Europe or Asia (skin tones).  Here is their
reply.

We will gladly sell you the USA film, but as far as we have
experienced, all films of the same type have the same color balance.

We advertise Kodak film in three types:

             IMPORTED Film made outside the USA and imported for
us. This may also be referred to as "GREY".

             USAW Film manufactured in the USA for Worldwide
distribution.

             USA Film manufactured in the USA for domestic
distribution.

Agfa, Fuji, and Ilford film are made outside the USA. While we offer
many of these in "grey or direct import" and "USA" the primary
difference is not where the film came from, but who brought the film
into this country.

B&H Photo recognizes that for many professionals, the method of
handling the film and its storage conditions during transport are
factors of vital importance. Optimum performance is essential for any
professional, whether shooting food, fashion or portraits. We know
that you need contrast, tonal range, color rendition and saturation to
be accurate, reliable and repeatable. We are also aware of the fact
that many of our amateur customers devote the same care and
consideration to their photography and
deserve the same quality.

B&H stands behind every roll or sheet of film or paper it sells.
Whatever the vintage or provenance, we are confident that it will
produce the results you need.