RE: [OM] Developing B+W - A Warning

Subject: RE: [OM] Developing B+W - A Warning
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 19:27:19 +0100
Cc: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Me too Dan.  It's amazing how useful these scientist types can be... :>)

Thanks from me too to Chris Barrett.

Chris

At 10:37 -0600 7/5/02, Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:
 > Developer needs to be quite strongly alkaline for it to work.
 The stop bath is acidic to stop development.

 Strong alkali denatures (and hence dissolves) the surface of
 your skin. This is what causes the "soapy" feel of developing
 solution. When you dip your fingers in stop bath or fixer the
 acid neutralises the alkali. You are eroding the surface of
 your skin, and this is not good.

 Oh. Okay, time to get me some gloves.. I assumed it was just some sort of
slimy chemical thing going on, but I don't want to lose my skin if I can
avoid it.

 thanks for the warning!

 -- dan

--