RE: [OM] Negative & Slide film... Price versus Quality

Subject: RE: [OM] Negative & Slide film... Price versus Quality
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:17:29 +0200
Hi,

A most interesting discussion. I'll add a little bit to it:

Apart from some of the obvious reasons for using slides such as:

> Why slides over negs?  Filing, editing, storage.  I ruthlessly edit
slides, but negs are much
> harder to break apart and toss the losers.  I have a lot of garbage in my
neg sheets.

...which all apply to me as well, there is more: looking at a 10x15CM print
does not exactly have the same "wow-effect" as when looking at a slide
that's projected at 10 times those dimensions. Furthermore: sharpness and
colour accuracy; good grief what trouble have I had at getting satisfactory
prints, yet with slides - hardly any issue (other than me messing up, or at
times burnt out skies due to having used the spot meter on (too) dark
parts).

Then, a most interesting factor: cost.
Yes, you won't believe this, but over here roughly the same cost is incurred
for me to buy Provia 100F (when done in bulk!), get it processed at a
pro-lab and mount the slides in frames myself (frames included in the
calculation), as it is to buy Kodakcolor 100/200/400 Gold, and get them
processed and printed on 10x15CM prints at the "low end MacDonalds mass
processing factory".

However, all these things put aside: one has to use whatever their
preference is (or what a specific job requires), both have definite
advantages (a big advantage of prints is that they can be put in an album,
with elaborate descriptions next to them; something which is not as
straightforwardly done with slides), and both have some disadvantages. I
used to pretty much exclusively use Kodakcolor Gold 100/200 until a certain
Mr. Stewart from Ireland strongly recommended me to use slide film just
once. Ever since, I've been hooked and I find it much more exciting to shoot
on slide (and view the results afterwards) than wheh shooting print film. I
have not really looked back on this decision, and over the past few years I
think I've only shot some 3-4 rolls on negatives, all the rest has been on
various slide films. My favourite slide films? Provia 100F (duh!) and E100VS
(for dull days).

Cheers!
Olafo