Re: [OM] Mr. Wizard, Mr. Wizard, Help !!!

Subject: Re: [OM] Mr. Wizard, Mr. Wizard, Help !!!
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 19:59:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 8 May 2002, GeoW wrote:

> Hi all. I have an OM1n that is mint. No marks what so ever. The film door
> will not open. Before I perform surgery, I ask the Pros on the list for
> advice. The rewind knob will pull up but the door doesn't pop open as it
> should. No signs of it being glued shut. Like I said, looks like this one
> came straight off the shelf.

It could be very stick foam seals.  Try gripping the edge of the film door
with a piece of rubber (a dental dam is good) and push it open as you lift
the rewind knob.  If all the prying fails, you could disassemble the latch
mechanism by lifting the leatherette on the left side and unscrew the two
little screws that hold the latch cover in place.  Be careful you don't lose
the little spacers, they fall out very easy.  You should be able to reach
the edge of the door once the latch cover is off and lift the door open.
If it still doesn't open, then it's probably glued shut.  Maybe that's why
the body is in mint condition :-)
                                -mark