[OM] Re: Speaking of focussing screens

Subject: [OM] Re: Speaking of focussing screens
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 21:56:33 -0700
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Gang,

One of the things that I had done with my original OM-1N while John H. was doing a CLA on it at CamTech just last month was to have him install a new OM 2-4 screen. My understanding is that using this screen normally will cause an inaccuracy on the part of the light meter when installed, but my understanding is that John adjusts the meter to compensate for that as part of his CLA. That's all well and good, then.

Here's the question:

Given that I use my OM-2S for most of my motorsports photography to take advantage of the OTF metering, and given that I shoot at 200mm or greater, I thought it would be easier to focus the big lenses with the 2-4 screen than with the stock focussing screen that comes in the OM-2S. So, I swapped screens between the cameras.....putting the 2-4 from my OM-1N into the OM-2S. The pics from that swap taken with the 2S seem to be fine (shooting with the camera on "Auto"). What I don't know is if the stock screen from the OM-2S will cause yet another light meter inaccuracy in my OM-1N. I assumed that since 2-4 screens and the screen from an OM-2S were similar (that is, designed for the partially silver reflex mirror), that I should be able to put this screen in the OM-1 without any need to readjust the meter. Does anyone know if in fact this is the case? Just what is the screen that comes with an OM-2S? Is it a 2-13 screen? Any info would be most welcome.

Cheers,
Stephen Scharf
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!