Re:[OM] Kodachrome and lenses

Subject: Re:[OM] Kodachrome and lenses
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 07:57:34 -0500
At 10:34 PM 5/9/2002 +1200, Brian you wrote:
Next, I finally understand one other reason why Kodachrome is so much
better than some other films. Remember that Kodachrome has a small
latitude for a wide range of lighting. This has its strong point too. I sometimes
take photos of bright red dahlia flowers. I just like them. Usually I chose a
bright overcast day for the photographs. So the illumination is moderately
even over the whole frame, with a small or slightly bigger hint of directional lighting from the sun. On print film the shots are nice - but somewhat bland.
Not as bland as digital, but bland.  Kodachrome accentuates the contrast so
that the shadows and highlights (to the smallest detail) stand out a good
deal more and lift the shot from ho-hum to one that you might look twice at.
Makes all the difference.

Thanks for reminding me of this! I have a number of rolls of KM25 in the freezer. I don't think it will become my primary landscape film, but it will continue to be used. But I had forgotten about Kodachrome for cloudy-day flower shots. I am also reminded that Kodachrome responds nicely with a warming filter under those circumstances, something I've more or less quit using with the saturated E6 films.

Joel W.