Re: [OM] [OT]It seems so simple...

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT]It seems so simple...
From: Johan Malmström <jmalmstrom@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 15:39:25 +0200
Den 02-05-09 12.04, skrev "Steve" <Steve.Gullick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> According to my (admittedly beat-up) Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary:
>>
>> "Insure", 2. To make certain, especially, taking necessary measures and
>> precautions.
>>
>> "Ensure", to make sure,certain, or safe. syn., Ensure, Insure, Assure,
>> Secure. shared meaning element: to make an outcome sure.
>>
>> I hate to see young people being led down the wrong path. :~)).
>>
>> Dick Allen
>

> Well Dick, I'd bung Websters in the bin if I were you and get yourself a
> proper one - the OED comes to mind!
>
> Steve

Do you still use books for this? Use a DICT server near you instead! For Mac
OS X I recommend the client OmniDictionary from Omnigroup.

// Johan

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913):

Insure \In"sure\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Insured; p. pr. & vb. n.
   Insuring.] [OE. ensuren, prob. for assuren, by a change of
   prefix. See 1st In-, and Sure, and cf. Assure,
   Ensure.] [Written also ensure.]
   1. To make sure or secure; as, to insure safety to any one.

   2. Specifically, to secure against a loss by a contingent
      event, on certain stipulated conditions, or at a given
      rate or premium; to give or to take an insurance on or
      for; as, a merchant insures his ship or its cargo, or
      both, against the dangers of the sea; goods and buildings
      are insured against fire or water; persons are insured
      against sickness, accident, or death; and sometimes
      hazardous debts are insured.

-----------------

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913):

Insure \In*sure"\, v. i.
   To underwrite; to make insurance; as, a company insures at
   three per cent.

-----------------

>From WordNet (r) 1.7:

insure
     v 1: be careful or certain to do something; make certain of
          something; "He verified that the valves were closed";
          "See that the curtains are closed"; "control the quality
          of the product" [syn: see, check, see to it, ensure,
           control, ascertain, assure]
     2: make certain of; "This nest egg will ensure a nice
        retirement for us"; "Preparation will guarantee success!"
        [syn: guarantee, ensure, assure, secure]
     3: protect by insurance; "The insurance won't cover this" [syn:
         cover, underwrite]
     4: take out insurance for

-----------------

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913):

Ensure \En*sure"\, v. t.
   1. To make sure. See Insure.

   2. To betroth. [Obs.] --Sir T. More.

-----------------

>From WordNet (r) 1.7:

ensure
     v 1: make certain of; "This nest egg will ensure a nice
          retirement for us"; "Preparation will guarantee
          success!" [syn: guarantee, insure, assure, secure]
     2: be careful or certain to do something; make certain of
        something; "He verified that the valves were closed"; "See
        that the curtains are closed"; "control the quality of the
        product" [syn: see, check, insure, see to it, control,
         ascertain, assure]