Re: [OM] Agfachrome RSX II 50 Professional

Subject: Re: [OM] Agfachrome RSX II 50 Professional
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 15:40:27 +0100
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> The third example seems like the more direct comparison of similar light,
> and the Velvia and 3rd RSX-II shot seem rather close to me.  Keeping the
> detail in the clouds in the Velvia shot means the shadows have to go a
> bit.  I think the highlights are slightly off the scale in the third RSX
> shot, which has allowed the shadows to come up somewhat, but they haven't
> really come up all that much.

Yes, you're right that the highlights are a bit blown out there, but I
think quite a lot of that is from the scanning.  I'll have to look at
the original slide to be certain but I think the highlights were rather
better captured than it appears.  The impression I got on the light box
was definitely that the RSX II does do a better job in the shadows, all
else being equal, than Velvia.  I tried out several films on that trip,
but could really do with giving the results some more critical scrutiny.

I must try Kodachrome some time before it disappears altogether.  But if
the latitude is even tighter than Velvia's I can't imagine it's easy to
work with..

Cheers,
Roger