Re: [OM] OT Pet Peeves - was Irony etc...

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Pet Peeves - was Irony etc...
From: Johan Malmström <jmalmstrom@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 17:07:53 +0200
This topic has probably gone to far, so it's ok if add this.

As English is not my first language, I didn't quite know what you meant but
"pet peeves", so I tried to figure it out. So I looked up the word pet.

>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913):
>
>Pet \Pet\, n. [Formerly peat, perhaps from Ir. peat, akin to
>   Gael. peata.]
>   1. A cade lamb; a lamb brought up by hand.
>
>   2. Any person or animal especially cherished and indulged; a
>      fondling; a darling; often, a favorite child.
>
>            The love of cronies, pets, and favorites. --Tatler.
>
>   3. [Prob. fr. Pet a fondling, hence, the behavior or humor
>      of a spoiled child.] A slight fit of peevishness or
>      fretfulness. ``In a pet she started up.'' --Tennyson.
>
>-----------------
>
>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913):
>
>Pet \Pet\, a.
>   Petted; indulged; admired; cherished; as, a pet child; a pet
>   lamb; a pet theory.
>
>         Some young lady's pet curate.            --F. Harrison.
>
>   Pet cock. [Perh. for petty cock.] (Mach.) A little faucet
>      in a water pipe or pump, to let air out, or at the end of
>      a steam cylinder, to drain it.
>
>-----------------
>
>From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913):
>
>Pet \Pet\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Petted; p. pr. & vb. n.
>   Petting.]
>   To treat as a pet; to fondle; to indulge; as, she was petted
>   and spoiled.

<snip>
I really like the part of pet cock and petting, but I assume you mean a lamb
:)
I had more trouble with the word Peeves as it didn't exist but a found peeve
which means:
>From WordNet (r) 1.7:
>
>peeve
>     v : cause to be annoyed, irritated, or resentful

So this concludes that you are really annoyed with mail like this!

// Johan - Having a boring national holiday day because a guy named Christ
left the earth to day some 2000 yrs ago, according to the oppressors of the
people.