Re: [OM] Best slide film?

Subject: Re: [OM] Best slide film?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 08:40:20 -0700 (PDT)
Hey, I didn't get a chance to weigh in on this subject yet.
(Like I haven't spewed before...)

I used to be a Fuji 50 and Fuji 100 junky.  Couldn't get enough
of it.  Fuji 50 was replaced by Velvia, which was slightly
improved in nearly every way, but was nearly identical to a
properly aged roll of Fujichrome 50--only more consistant.
Fujichrome 100 remained the "high-speed" standard long after
Provia was introduced.  The loss of Fujichrome 100 was greatly
lamented.  Fujichrome 100 was grainier than Provia but possessed
an edgyness to the grain that improved the apparent sharpness of
the pictures.  It was a very comfortable film to use and pushed
to 200 very well.

Fuji Sensia replaced Fujichrome 100, and was the "consumer"
version of Provia's emulsion.  I really liked Sensia and shot
tons of it.  Fuji couldn't leave it alone.  Evidently, Sensia
must have been cutting into Provia sales or something, because
Sensia II was formulated with Astia's emulsion.

Now Astia is one of those strange films.  Either you like it or
you hate it.  No middle ground.  For me, Astia is a waste.  If
I'm doing product photography, it is terrific, but for my tastes
it is worthless outside of the studio.  Sensia II, being an
Astia formulation just doesn't do anything for me.  A-B
comparisons show no contest.  To each his own.  Some like it,
but for me, I'll pass, thank you.

Agfa RSX-50/100 is excellent film.  I find that the Agfa is
closest to the original Fujichromes that I've seen.  Grain
pattern is even similar.  If it wasn't for my love affair with
Velvia/Provia I'd shoot Agfa.

But at this time, I'm spending most of my efforts in B&W and
color slide film is kinda taking a back seat.  I am going to
shoot a ton of slide film in a couple of weeks though.  Just
maybe I'll place a fat order with B&H for some Agfa RSX 50.

However, seeing the specs on Agfa Ultra 50...   nah!

AG-Schnozz