Re: [OM] RE: OM How bad is this lens damaged?

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: OM How bad is this lens damaged?
From: "mike m." <mnmitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 12:23:11 +0000
Beverly,

first check out the rear element and see if it appears scratched. If any
scratches are visible, I'd contact the seller and return the lens. If it
just looks like it has a lot of the foam dust on it I'd carefully brush
the dust off the rear element and then look through the lens and check
it for dust particles. You may have to shine a light through the lens to
get a good view of the insides. If it doesn't appear to have a lot of
dust particles inside the lens, I would say it's probably ok.
The case is probably for the smaller 21mm f3.5 and that's the reason it
wouldn't fit.
I'd chunk the case if I were you, it's just a fungus farm anyway.

I bought a silver nosed 135mm f2.8 off e*ay from an uninformed seller
about a year ago that was in mint condition except for the fact that it
had sat for years with the rear of the lens up and no rear lens cap. It
had so much dirt and grime on the rear element you could hardly see
through it. I removed the lens mount and the rear element and carefully
cleaned it with methyl alcohol. I put it back together and it's just
like new.

The difference here being you probably paid at least $500 for the 21mm
where I got the 135mm for $45. If the glass surfaces do not appear
scratched and it cleans up good consider shooting a roll of film, slides
if you have a projector, and see how they look. I've got a 21 f2 and I
know that used ones don't come around very often.
Good Luck.

later,
mike m.