[OM] [ot] way OT; GPS gurus help me!

Subject: [OM] [ot] way OT; GPS gurus help me!
From: siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 01:49:17 -0700
greetings;

i'm wanting to get a GPS receiver (Rx ONLY, not somehting with a display
just a little box with a cable i can connect to laptop (running Streets
2002). I've found the following Rx units that fit the bill:

Garmin GPS 35 PC
http://www.garmin.com/products/gps35/

Navman E Series
http://navman.com/land/usa/products/e_series/index.html

DeLorme Earthmate
http://delorme.com/earthmate/default.asp

which requires rockwell->NMEA adapter
http://www.byonics.com/gst-1/

Pharos iGPS
http://www.pharosgps.com/products/laptopdesktoppc/CA009_PB009.htm

all ranging from about US$130 to 190 approx.

I'm new to this game, I've searched google, read this and that, but most
articles are for the handheld thingies, that units that have a display on
them, or for use with PDAs...

what to do? finally, each website's "where to buy" link always leads to
someplace that sells that brands' GPS stuff, not ONCE did I find the
receiver only for laptop unit. so where can i get this (brick and mortar
store would be nice, but i'll get online if need be). Website like
www.pricegrabber.com have the more common handheld stuff, not this
particular unit(s) so i can't compare prices online either.

any direction (haha) would be appreciated :) Looking to buy in shortly,
within a week.

write me OFFLIST:

mailto:iddibhai@xxxxxxx?subject=GPS

thanks a million and sorry for the OT :) at least it's not politics ;) or
English grammar eh?